Tuesday, May 22

People and sensations

Now - I'm a people person. There's no doubt about it. I have moved around quite a bit and have friends gathered up a bit here and there. What I have realized during the last 10 years is that a lot of people don't get around to keeping their friendships warm - that some experience that the sentiments of back then fade away - that because they don't see people regularily - and often - they check in new friends and check out others. I realize that I must be particularily lucky to have so many people spread around the world that I talk to from time to time if distances are too long and time and travel money scarce - and to over and over again find myself realizing - with these people, when we meet again - that forever turns into a second, - and it seems like we saw each other only yesterday. These people are with me every day.

I love to go back and feel what it felt like when I sat with my (now) husband, brother in law and one of my best friends through 15 years (now) having a French piquenique overlooking the Normandie beaches and cliffs on our way to Cap de la Hague at Easter 1995 - we ate - we drank, and then we had a nap on the blankets in the sun... I can close my eyes and go back to physically - bodily - sensing the comfort and happiness I sensed back then. The sun warming gently in April...

Once every now and then I still meet people that I realize will be there forever. It's more seldom now, but it happens. It's such a privilege knowing that their mere presence in the world - even if somewhere far away - will continue making my life better. And I cannot help looking forward to when we will share a cup of tea or a glass of red together again...

No comments: